Wonderful Land, what was used for the recording

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Wonderful Land, what was used for the recording

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Thanks, Paul, Jim, all for all the interesting information. The title off this thread is appropriate for the discussion, if not what Robb originally intended.

The difficulty of identifying the guitar used for the original recording of Wonderful Land, whether 34346 or the “rosewood” Strat, makes me wonder now whether the unusual stagger of 34346 is an essential component of That Sound.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby bor64 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:13 pm

Apparently peeps seems to believe a published word as it's kinda chiselled concrete....
As a author of some published articles, I know first hand, what is published in print.... isn't always what was written behind the desk!
I wrote a article about the Burns Marvin with a genuine interview about the subject with Hank as one of the sources.
I wrote more then 4 A4 on my typewriter in early 91 ( I got into pc's in 92) in November of 91 it was published as a 1,5 page article....
It was edited by a editor who knew nothing about Burns and my '65 Marvin was the first he saw in the flesh, he was so keen that he insist to get pictured with it!
A sample, I wrote the Marvin were made predominantly in white and a few in Greenburst.
So he wrote made in white, in green and in sunburst....
So you see such tiny detail can give a different message....and mind you, it was a guitar magazine!
Perhaps Hanks words in the column where edited as well, so maybe the (few) prototypes that changed about 30 times, became 30 prototypes who knows????
The Marvin's MK2 for the Australian tour , in 79 it was published 2 green 1 white were build and the white was destroyed and never reached the shads , for decades it was copied dozens of times in publishing and on the sites.
Also after the film/tv footage was discovered in the late 80's, it toke almost 3,5 decades before it was changed in the new publishings.
Never-mind the times, I had to swim against the stream of all "armchair" experts who keep saying, just one was made!!! ;)

It's known Hank visit Burns around the end of 62 ish....perhaps the possibility of a new guitar was talked about, that is not the same as ordered or commissioned.
You can clearly hear Hank telling in the sound snippet we ASK Jim Burns in the summer of 63, and yes we got a prototype....and the guitars towards the end of 63/ beginning 64.
So I attaches more value to what Hank said, than 35 years of wrongly copied publications by people who were not there....

Tin hat in place ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby bor64 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi Andy,

It's only a (important) detail, for folks who can hear the detail on the recordings ;)
Others who can't hear it....they estimate it at a different value.
I have family and friends, who can't hear the different quality between a cheap micro Akai set and a state of the art stereo system.
So both groups are happy as Larry, as long they don't exchanged stereo's ;)
Some of the folks who are over the moon with the cheap stereo set, are regular classical concert visitors.... :shock:

I have a colour picture on a LP box-set of the Shads, with on four strings cigarette-paper clearly visible on the 34346.
Hank told Paul,he didn't use flat-wounds, but it's so long ago maybe he's forgotten that....was Paul's statement on that...(as mentioned by Paul at the beginning on his YT topic).
About a small bus-load are now convinced flats are the way to go, that's the power of the net.
I know first hand when I would asked Hank the speakers in your AC30 in ... were they blue or grey....Hank would smile and say I don't have a clue.
But using flat or round wounds strings on a daily basis in a important part of your career ...

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Malcolm Addey, can you help solve this enduring conundrum? ;)

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby bor64 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Malcolm was very neutral on which guitar was used when.
With his statement "saw the red guitar not that often in the studio"... or words in that order.
If he had stated at that time, the red one was used on Apache, his contribution on that matter was perhaps not used....
Now we all know the picture taken in the studio while QS was recorded....at the same session as that famous tune.

There seems to be still peeps who written word by a editor/author and much worse, blatant copy paste net preaching by peeps who not seen the genuine article ever....prefer or validate that in a higher esteem as the spoken words by peeps who are into the know because they done it, bin there and own(ed) it!
Sometimes you can read between the lines, although they don't write it, and when asked they denied it, calling the original folks kinda lyres.

The past decades on the lots of sites the " in house experts" who telling everybody who want to listen, the absolute "truth" about objects and the parts objects were made of and how it went and did take place and why....
Most of the times by reading their threads and comments, number of times it's clear they don't have the object seen in the flesh ever, let alone own it!
They have most of the time a master degree of ducking a discussion with genuine owners or real experts, why? Well if they did....all of a sudden they are not the "in house experts" any more....

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby bor64 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Paul,

It's easier to compensate your picking in WL then in TS because of the tempo ;)

Roger,

The lower G pole isn't a theory, you can see it on old pictures and the photo's taken in the past decades and seen on the 50th strat.
Some can clearly hear it to on the hits too, by listening closely and some don't....others don't bother...or saying just that because they can't hear it ;)
Look closely on the cover of the LP/CD The Shadows Vocals, you can see the lower G pole as well as the cigarette-paper in the 34346 nut on the E,A,D,G string....so that's one clue why the strings on some recordings sound dull, old or kinda as a flat wound....the later is indeed a quick fix to get about the same result as on some of the recordings.
But I believe Hank when he stated I didn't use flat wounds, and see the cigarette-paper on some strings.

Cheers Rob
bor64

Previous

Return to Gear