The Shadows "F.B.I." new rarities CD

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows "F.B.I." new rarities CD coming

Postby iefje » Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 pm

The recording date for Cliff Richard & The Shadows' performance on The Royal Variety Performance 1962 is not clear to me. Some sources say April 29th, 1962, while others say October 29th, 1962. Which one is correct?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed May 20, 2020 1:29 pm

The performance took place on 29th October 1962, according to the Royal Variety website
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed May 20, 2020 1:29 pm

According to Wikipedia, the 1962 show at the London Palladium was recorded on 29th October and transmitted on 4th November.

Great minds, Iain!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: The Shadows "F.B.I." new rarities CD

Postby Twilight Ranger » Wed May 20, 2020 5:06 pm

FBI arrived today and I have already listened to it once. Very pleasant music! There's only one unpleasant surprise: the CD sleeve is bigger than the standard size and thus it doesn't fit into my CD rack. I'll find a place for it, though.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Fenderman wrote:Hmm, I thought it was later on so I guess I was wrong. I blame age! :D

Your memory is fine. Although recorded in September 1960, FBI was not released until February 1961.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed May 20, 2020 8:20 pm

Must try not to stray off subject too much, but I gather there was thought of Shotgun, recorded just a week earlier, being issued as a single rather than FBI, but was instead included on the western themed EP, The Shadows, issued at the beginning of 1961.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri May 22, 2020 7:26 pm

That’s right, Malcolm Campbell’s guide says FBI was originally to have been on the EP. Victor Rust says the same and adds that Shotgun was being lined up as the single.
Shadows performance history could have been quite different!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby iefje » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:01 pm

I've been listening to the CD again and compared the tracks "Bongo Blues", "Three-30-Blues" and "Walk Don't Run" with the BBC versions of the tracks. It sounds as though the BBC versions of these three tracks have been used on the "F.B.I." CD, instead of the Radio Luxembourg versions!
iefje

Postby bosunbob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:33 am

I've just bought this on ebay. I'm looking forward to listening to some rarities.
The CD will take a while to get here, all the way to New Zealand and during a pandemic.
I dont think that the aero planes that carry freight will be flying any slower than usual, just that there
will be less of them.
So when the CD does arrive, I will be doing some more serious self isolating.
bosunbob

Postby iefje » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 am

There will be two LP variants of the "F.B.I." album, to be released in the middle of September, one on standard black vinyl (200 copies) and one on green vinyl (100 copies). I have already ordered my copy of the green variant. The LP features 23 tracks and includes 12 tracks, which are not on the CD issue:
- "Gonzales" (a short mix of takes 57 and 58).
- "Wonderful Land" (take 8). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Witch Doctor". Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "What A Lovely Tune" (original stereo mix). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Theme From 'The Boys'" (undubbed version). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Les Girls" (film version). Already issued on the 2003 CD UK "Summer Holiday Special Edition".
- "All Day" (take 10). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "It's Been A Blue Day" (take 2). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Wonderful Land" (undubbed version). Already issued on the 1993 CD UK "Everything Of Value - Rarities 2".
- "Guitar Tango" (undubbed version). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Atlantis" (undubbed version). Already issued on the 1997 CD UK "The Shadows At Abbey Road".
- "Perfidia" (BBC version).

https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2152&controller=product
https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2151&controller=product
iefje

Previous

Return to The Shadows