Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb amp

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb amp

Postby David Martin » Wed May 20, 2020 5:01 pm

When you get your Deluxe, Dave, try Normal Channel, Volume 6, Treble 1, Bass 1. This setting is based on the live sounds of The Shads on the new FBI CD. I used an H&C echo. That's for a Strat. Marvin setting, 6, 6.5, 10+. for the "Burns" sound.

Let us know what you think....
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 pm

OK thanks for the heads up, I'll get it on Friday and let you know how it sounds. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Egelund » Thu May 21, 2020 7:47 am

Hi
>One takes with Fender tonemaster

Regards
Niels

Fender tonemaster deluxe reverb
Fender stratocaster
Normal - Bass 2 - treble 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe8WTCHxIho

Fender tonemaster deluxe reverb
Burns Marvin
Normal- bass 2- treble 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBzVBTCkMAo
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby dave robinson » Fri May 22, 2020 4:51 pm

The Deluxe Reverb was delivered this morning as arranged and I gave it a quick blast before getting on with my chores for the day. I set it up as David described and was delighted with what I heard, as the sound was just what I'd hoped it would be. I was surprised that how different the Deluxe Reverb was to the Twin Reverb on the way the controls function, they are totally different animals. I expected them to be similar but on a Twin Reverb you get zero volume unless you use the tone controls but the Deluxe is different in that you can have the tone controls off, but the volume pot alone provides sound. So I'm delighted to own one of each now which is surprising because I was one of the people who was very cynical about these just under a year ago when they were announced.
These two amps are nothing like anything that has gone before, all the talk of Mustangs and all the other Cyber thingies that Fender made are nothing to do with these, as this is new technology at the cutting edge. I've heard all the comments about 'too dear for a solid state amp' etc etc - These won't come down in price anytime soon because they deliver, at virtually zero weight. In retrospect my Watkins Dominator cost 38-10-6d in 1962 and this Deluxe Reverb would have cost £37.10 in that year, based on the inflation calculator. A brand new Watkins Dominator today will set you back close to two grand today, made by John Beer under license. None of the valve heads have yet been able to knock these new models and the reason is, they are bloody good. Sure you can drone on about valves are better and break your back or have a heart attack trying to carry one, but as someone who still has valve amps I can categorically say that I won't be needing them any time soon. ;)
Attachments
3681AC81-6471-46F2-A370-1217CB7C2896.jpeg
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby David Martin » Sat May 23, 2020 8:54 am

I'm glad you found those settings a sucess...

I notice that you have a Gemini III on your pedalboard. I used to have one and regret selling it now. I've tried every way I can to get in touch with the man who designed and made it. He is a member here, but has not been seen for years. I know he suffered the tragic loss of his wife and this hit him hard. His i.d. was David JM.

I have found someone who would be prepared to make these again, and arrive at a financial arrangement, but with no contact info, nothing can be achieved.

So... anyone know where he can be found? And/or, does anyone have one for sale?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby dave robinson » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

You can achieve the sound of the Gemini III by careful use of a graphic EQ, but you would need to choose which of the two 'bass cuts' to set up, as the Gemini III offers two as well as straight through. I believe that Charlie is working on some sort of harmonics pedal which adds something similar, it was due for release last Christmas but we still wait.
Regarding the Deluxe Reverb, I love the size of it as well as the lack of weight and I can tell you that the DI works perfectly, no need for mikes in front of the speaker with this. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Previous

Return to Gear