Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

For anything specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Barry Gibson Retires ? What happens to Burns ?

Postby Billyboygretsch » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 am

Doesn’t really tell you anything. Alan Entwistle and dealers concerned by lack of info.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby bor64 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 am

In Burns’ newest incarnation, Gilson stated that it will be at least a year before production starts again, as extensive background work is being undertaken to re-engineer the existing vintage designs so that they meet modern standards of playability while still being genuine Burns guitars....

So I'm a afraid it makes the way free for all kind of easier(cheaper) manufacturing, drop the typical Burns/artist quirks .
Enter more strat neckpocket, no scroll, no Rez-O-Tube trem, no toast rack....no van Gent tuners....etc.
I hope I'm wrong!

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Dance with Shadows » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am

My eye caught the phrase ".. designs so that they meet modern standards of playability... ". Doesn't that suggest primarily changing the rezo tube trem, and the pickups?
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby Teflon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Dance with Shadows wrote:My eye caught the phrase ".. designs so that they meet modern standards of playability... ". Doesn't that suggest primarily changing the rezo tube trem, and the pickups?

It also kind of implies that current Burns guitars don't meet modern standards. So, will the new owners give me a refund for the one I bought last summer? ;)

I don't wish to appear negative, and really hope things turn out well. It strikes me though, that in the 2 weeks that they've owned the company they appear to have disenfranchised their dealers, insulted their current product line, and put at risk the brand loyalty so carefully nurtured by Barry over the years. Maybe I'm over-reacting - I hope so.

Of course, I don't actually want a refund on my Burns, it's a wonderful instrument. I just hope that the ones produced going forward are of a similar quality. I agree about the future of the Rezo tube design, it must be expensive to produce and would likely be a prime candidate if cost cutting is a consideration. Hopefully we'll be proved wrong, time will tell I suppose.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby SandChannel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 am

Since Burns are darn near impossible to find in the US, it is good to know that Guitar Center is involved in the purchase as well. It would be mint to able to purchase an English-made Burns without having to buy it sight unseen and shipped over for a small fortune.
Unhindered by talent.
SandChannel

Full Real Name: Michael Foley

Postby Dance with Shadows » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 am

I interpreted playability as the ability to play something with lots, lots of distortion. For there is nothing much wrong with the Burns' set up from the viewpoint of the player. The action, neck profile is far superior, in my opinion, to the baseball bats produced by the latest Fender strats. I like the bridge too. Soft on the skin for muting.
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby bor64 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

Altering the Burns guitars of the past....for modern playing
Rez-o-Tube becomes FR double locking trem copy
Rez-o- Matic becomes a generic strat pu (already done on the 40th) and some humbuckers in HSH or HSS figuration with coil tap for the old sound
Van Gent tuners become far east made generic Schaller clones
Scroll head becomes flat with tuners on one side...six in row for easy handling and protect the minds of the youth.
Pick guards becomes one peace just for solid mounting and faster playing.
Reshaped body contour softer horns, so no sharp corners so the kids are saver while playing.
Lighter balsa-wood body to protect kids back

But be assured it will be a real Burns branded guitar!!!! ;)

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby Hank2k » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:59 am

after seeing the new owners posting with just the main core line up of instruments i wonder if they might go back to the 60s in terms of designs and remake things like the split sonic etc for modern times. Would be a good to see UK built Burns again and the talks of a Custom shop are exciting
Hank2k

Postby bor64 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi Steve,

I hope your right and I'm wrong.
I fear the market for 60's type Burns is still getting smaller along the years...
Real vintage Burns are still available and don't have the fabled quality saga and prices as the pre CBS guitars.
Not al lot of youth, has a Burns in their cross-hair for a first or a serious guitar., perhaps because no big guitar hero in in the chart playing a Burns?

Cheers Rob
bor64

Postby MeBHank » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

bor64 wrote:Hi Steve,

I hope your right and I'm wrong.
I fear the market for 60's type Burns is still getting smaller along the years...
Real vintage Burns are still available and don't have the fabled quality saga and prices as the pre CBS guitars.
Not al lot of youth, has a Burns in their cross-hair for a first or a serious guitar., perhaps because no big guitar hero in in the chart playing a Burns?

Cheers Rob

Agreed, Rob. When was the last time a big guitar hero was regularly in the charts? Hasn't happened since Slash with Guns N' Roses, and that was a good 25 years ago, if not more.

As far as I can observe or understand, Burns is irrelevant as a brand without the nostalgia factor. With even the giants like Fender and Gibson struggling to keep guitar sales up the only way a guitar manufacturer is going to stay competitive is by trying to break into the budget market.

Barry's given us as good as we're ever going to get.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

PreviousNext

Return to Burns