CLIFF AT THE BBC

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: CLIFF AT THE BBC

Postby Fenderman » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pm

I was kind of hoping the Cliff/Shads docs would have kind of provided a renewed interest in the band and the music but alas, hasn't happened.
Not even the Hank Marvin Matthessons adverts did much!
Fenderman

Full Real Name: Alexander Thomson

Postby Teflon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Pretty sure Barbara Streisand was due to be cast in "Summer Holiday" before the part eventually went to Laurie Peters, not "The Young Ones" as claimed by the BBCs captions.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby GoldenStreet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 am

Teflon wrote:Pretty sure Barbara Streisand was due to be cast in "Summer Holiday" before the part eventually went to Laurie Peters, not "The Young Ones" as claimed by the BBCs captions.Cliff

The Wikipedia article on The Young Ones would appear to back up the BBC caption, and could well have been the source of the information. It also reports that Cliff Richard expressed an interest in signing 'the very young' Helen Shapiro as the female lead, the part eventually given to Carole Gray.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Moderne » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:37 pm

I think In The Country was from the 1967 pantomime Cinderella - not from the 1966 film Finders Keepers. Get Away with Cliff featuring Hank in Jacque Tati-esque sketches and Marvin, Welch & Farrar is surely due a DVD release.
Last edited by Moderne on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Initially Annette Robertson was announced as the leading lady for The Young Ones ,but it turned out to be Carole Grey instead , Annette was given another part in the film. I don`t think Barbra Streisland was very well known in this country in 1962.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Teflon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am

GoldenStreet wrote:The Wikipedia article on The Young Ones would appear to back up the BBC caption, and could well have been the source of the information. It also reports that Cliff Richard expressed an interest in signing 'the very young' Helen Shapiro as the female lead, the part eventually given to Carole Gray.

Bill

Interesting. I've done a quick "Google" and can find pages supporting both films for Streisand! My own source was a documentary I saw on Youtube on the making of Summer Holiday (I think it was originally on Channel 4 or 5). Amongst the many interviews with Cliff & the rest of the cast, Cliff related how he nearly worked with Barbara before the part went to Laurie Peters. Of course, he could have mis-remembered.

As is the way of such things, I can't find any trace of the video on Youtube now :evil:

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Moderne » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 pm

Also...although Cliff didn't have any hits in 1975, It's Only Me You Left Behind, Honky Tonk Angel (both produced by Marvin, Welch & Farrar) and Miss You Nights were all issued that year
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Postby bob t » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Moderne wrote:I think In The Country was from the 1967 pantomime Cinderella - not from the 1966 film Finders Keepers. Get Away with Cliff featuring Hank in Jacque Tati-esque sketches and Marvin, Welch & Farrar is surely due a DVD release.

In The Country was from Finders Keepers
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby Dance with Shadows » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:09 am

In the Country was definitely from Cinderella. Moderne was correct.
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby JimN » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 am

bob t wrote:
Moderne wrote:I think In The Country was from the 1967 pantomime Cinderella - not from the 1966 film Finders Keepers. Get Away with Cliff featuring Hank in Jacque Tati-esque sketches and Marvin, Welch & Farrar is surely due a DVD release.

In The Country was from Finders Keepers

I'm afraid not.

I have the relevant albums right here.

Here's an image: https://www.discogs.com/Cliff-Richard-The-Shadows-Cinderella/master/500838
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows