Headphone Left - Right - Sound Imaging

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Headphone Left - Right - Sound Imaging

Postby RayL » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:34 pm

+1 for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby SJB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Firstly thanks to all for the responses.

I decided on the open type particularly the DT990's - but there seems to be two models ? One advertised as the DT-990 Pro and the other as the "DT990 Edition". There is a significant price increase on the "Edition" version.
So it looks like the Pro type are built for Professional use and are more rugged than the Edition version which seems to be lighter and targeted at home use.
In a nutshell:-
Heavy, closed and rugged -> Get the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm
Light, comfortable and open -> Get the DT 990 Edition 250 Ohm

Some of the reviews indicate the DT990 as having bass and treble boost - but the DT880 as being flat.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/dt-990.htm

So one is reviewing all of these at this time. Prices seem to be all over the place.
If and when I finally decide - and purchase - then a short time later Wireless phones come out with zero latency or close - I will go mad :twisted: ----- Unless phones come out that correct bad notes. :D
When my Sony phones finally die - I will replace with the ATH50x probably.

Cheers for now
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I wouldn’t want to offend anyone, of course. But, at the average age of this community, some degree of hearing loss is very common. Typically the higher frequencies drop off, muffling the sound perceived. Also, one ear may be hearing less well than the other.

If I may say so, it could make sense to get an audiologist to check out your hearing before you splash out on new headphones.

Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby tolo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:16 pm

...Eh? 8-)
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby SJB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Iain Purdon wrote:I wouldn’t want to offend anyone, of course. But, at the average age of this community, some degree of hearing loss is very common. Typically the higher frequencies drop off, muffling the sound perceived. Also, one ear may be hearing less well than the other.

If I may say so, it could make sense to get an audiologist to check out your hearing before you splash out on new headphones.

Hope this helps - Iain

Iain your quite right one needs to be aware of our hearing issues. Putting the wife selective hearing issues to one side - I do know my hearing curve as it were. According to the private company I need hearing aids (£3500) to recover my top end as if I were a baby - and the bit around 2K -down to industrial noise damage. However the NHS decision - I don't need hearing aids. (Surprise Surprise).
Many of my music friends have hearing issues. Some you have to shout in their ear to talk to them.
For mixing it would be ideal to have an equaliser - matched to your ears. I am thinking about putting an "equaliser plug-in" to my cakewalk - but it needs to go in on the output - after the main mix.

It would be nice to try the DT990's and DT880's together - no chance at this time. To date no one has commented on the DT880's.
SJB

Postby RayL » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:32 am

For anyone who wants to check their hearing range at home on a regular basis as I do (because I do music balancing), a test CD is useful.

The CD I use was made by Disky Communications in 1996 and has 90 tracks of various test tones and examples of music. Tracks 47 to 77 are 30 seconds each of pure sine wave in steps from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. By using a decent pair of headphones (in my case the Audio Technica M50) I can check the point where my ears no longer hear anything. Currently that point is track 72 (15,000 Hz). At one time I could hear 15,625 Hz (the frequency whistle generated by the line output stage of the old valve colour TVs) but that is gone now.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby barryg » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 pm

I bought a pair of AKG K612 Pro headphones 2 years ago and I chose these as they are the most comfortable to wear with glasses. These are professional studio quality phones and have a good specification, for me as a listener anyway. Price is around £100.

Here is an online review

The AKG K612 PRO Studio Headphones are professional grade open-back studio headphones that provide a solid all-round experience throughout a wide dynamic range.

The K612 PRO headphones are built with comfort in mind, allowing users to wear them for long periods of time without causing any physical fatigue, as well as listening fatigue. The wide response of 12Hz to 39.5kHz will be more than enough for any producer, musician or listener. The K612 PRO makes use of the patented AKG Varimotion Membrane Technology which improves the overall sound, guaranteeing professional results.

The AKG K612 PRO Studio Headphones features include:

Open-back studio headphones
Frequency response of 12Hz – 39.5kHz
101dB SPL
Max input power is 200mW
120 Ohms impedance
Velour ear-pads
Cable not detachable
3m cable length

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby SJB » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 pm

So I decided on the DT 880's.
I will come back with my findings early next week.

Once again thanks to all for responses.

By the way if you don't know - ordering from Europe you need to be aware of the import tax now (VAT). I will now post again on this subject.
SJB

Postby SJB » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:49 pm

My Dt880's (250 Ohm) arrived this morning - were supposed to be delivered Saturday. Oh Well. :)

I am pleased with them. The stereo imaging is very good.
Initially one may may feel lack of Bass - then another track has plenty. The mids and tops are nice and clean.

Practicing this evening I was pleased with the sound and also noted that the Phones tonally sound the same as my monitor speakers.
The phones are light enough - grip tight enough and not too tight. I did sort of forget I had them on - and the wife can tell me dinner is ready without shouting.

The bad notes still show up :!:
SJB

Previous

Return to Gear