NEW RELEASE SOON: The Shadows and Brenda Lee Live In Paris

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW RELEASE SOON: The Shadows and Brenda Lee Live In Paris

Postby iefje » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:19 am

There will be a new CD out in August called "Live In Paris 1961-1962" with recordings by The Shadows and Brenda Lee:

https://www.leosden.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=2377&controller=product

Looking at the tracklist, I think the first ten tracks are the same as those on the 2020 Polish CD "F.B.I." and the first nine tracks were also issued on the 2012 Dutch double CD "Just About As Good As It Gets!". I wonder though if the other four tracks ("Guitar Boogie", "Jet Black", "F.B.I." and "Driftin'") are actually from performances in Paris, because (apart from "F.B.I.") these were only performed live in the course of 1959, to my knowledge.

A strange choice for the front cover picture though. Cliff Richard and John Rostill don't feature on these recordings.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Re: NEW RELEASE SOON: The Shadows and Brenda Lee Live In Par

Postby Mark Daniels » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Received mine today..
Attachments
28072022_0004.jpg
28072022_0004.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 4324 times

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Mark Daniels wrote:Received mine today..

Does it have the same tracks as on the 2020 Polish CD "F.B.I." and the 2012 Dutch double CD "Just About As Good As It Gets!"?
iefje

Postby Mark Daniels » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:06 pm

iefje wrote:

Does it have the same tracks as on the 2020 Polish CD "F.B.I." and the 2012 Dutch double CD "Just About As Good As It Gets!"?

The first 10 tracks are the same, the last four not sure if there from Paris most properly different place and time.
Attachments
28072022_0003 - Copy (2).jpg
28072022_0003 - Copy (2).jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 4061 times

Mark
Mark Daniels

Full Real Name: Mark Daniels

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:43 pm

Mark Daniels wrote:
iefje wrote:

The first 10 tracks are the same, the last four not sure if there from Paris most properly different place and time.

Thanks for the scan of the insert of the CD.

The listed recording dates are only partially correct. Of tracks 1 to 10, the tracks "Stranger On The Shore" and "Do You Wanna Dance" were recorded between August the 28th and September the 15th, 1962, with Brian Locking in the line-up, while the other eight tracks ("Shazam", "Shadoogie", "The Frightened City", "Man Of Mystery", "Nivram", "Kon-Tiki", "Midnight" and "Apache") were recorded on December the 11th or 12th, 1961, with Jet Harris still in the line-up. This leaves me wondering where tracks 11 to 14 come from. I do not have a copy of the CD yet, so I haven't got a clue.
iefje

Postby UlrichS » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:16 am

iefje wrote:The listed recording dates are only partially correct. Of tracks 1 to 10, the tracks "Stranger On The Shore" and "Do You Wanna Dance" were recorded between August the 28th and September the 15th, 1962, with Brian Locking in the line-up, while the other eight tracks ("Shazam", "Shadoogie", "The Frightened City", "Man Of Mystery", "Nivram", "Kon-Tiki", "Midnight" and "Apache") were recorded on December the 11th or 12th, 1961, with Jet Harris still in the line-up. This leaves me wondering where tracks 11 to 14 come from. I do not have a copy of the CD yet, so I haven't got a clue.

Fully correct! It is obviously Brian Locking on "Stranger On The Shore" and Jet Harris announces "Midnight". It is very unlikely that both perform at the same concert.

The tracks 12 "Jet Black" and 14 "Driftin'" are taken from Cliff's first album. Up to now I could not find out the origin of track 11 "Guitar Boogie" and track 13 "FBI".

BTW, I have emailed Fremeaux & Associes regarding these discrepancies and they have forwarded my mail to the producer of the 'Live In Paris' series. His reply:
"Our information comes from the data provided by the radio station that recorded the concerts (tape boxes and other documents) . If there may be some elements of doubt, I am sorry about that. As far as we know, there are no other recordings of the Shadows concerts in Paris."
For me the only conclusion is that the used tape for this CD is an edited version of both concerts from December 1961 and September 1962, which leaves the hope for complete tapes of the original concerts.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby iefje » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm

UlrichS wrote:
iefje wrote:The listed recording dates are only partially correct. Of tracks 1 to 10, the tracks "Stranger On The Shore" and "Do You Wanna Dance" were recorded between August the 28th and September the 15th, 1962, with Brian Locking in the line-up, while the other eight tracks ("Shazam", "Shadoogie", "The Frightened City", "Man Of Mystery", "Nivram", "Kon-Tiki", "Midnight" and "Apache") were recorded on December the 11th or 12th, 1961, with Jet Harris still in the line-up. This leaves me wondering where tracks 11 to 14 come from. I do not have a copy of the CD yet, so I haven't got a clue.

Fully correct! It is obviously Brian Locking on "Stranger On The Shore" and Jet Harris announces "Midnight". It is very unlikely that both perform at the same concert.

The tracks 12 "Jet Black" and 14 "Driftin'" are taken from Cliff's first album. Up to now I could not find out the origin of track 11 "Guitar Boogie" and track 13 "FBI".

BTW, I have emailed Fremeaux & Associes regarding these discrepancies and they have forwarded my mail to the producer of the 'Live In Paris' series. His reply:
"Our information comes from the data provided by the radio station that recorded the concerts (tape boxes and other documents) . If there may be some elements of doubt, I am sorry about that. As far as we know, there are no other recordings of the Shadows concerts in Paris."
For me the only conclusion is that the used tape for this CD is an edited version of both concerts from December 1961 and September 1962, which leaves the hope for complete tapes of the original concerts.

Ulrich

Thank you Ulrich. Could it be that "Guitar Boogie" and "F.B.I." are from the EP "The Shadows At The Colosseum Johannesburg"? Or is "Guitar Boogie" maybe from the previously released BBC radio session and "F.B.I." live from the "Crackerjack" TV show?
iefje

Postby anniv 63 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:55 pm

This compilation is a bit weird. They dont appear to have put on 5 tracks from Sounds Incorporated
from this 62 live set.
If you go into Sounds Incorporated Topic on You Tube you will find them!!!!
Let there be Chaos a drum solo has I think not had a release before?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Trying to imagine Brenda Lee and The Shadows on stage together …
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby alewis41 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:57 am

Iain Purdon wrote:Trying to imagine Brenda Lee and The Shadows on stage together …

Brenda is still going strong in Nashville. She was at the Star-Club in Hamburg with the Beatles in 1962. She would have some rock 'n' roll stories to tell.

Andrew
alewis41

Full Real Name: Andrew Lewis

Return to The Shadows