Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:34 pm

I went down to my studio and set up the two cabinets together with the MV-50 AC and played a few numbers with the BTs, disconnecting one speaker a listening to the difference it made as I did so, switching the impedance switch to match the speakers and yes there is a difference. It's not massively apparent at first because it sounds good anyway, but with the second speaker connected, as you crank up the volume it is clearer and bigger as one would expect.
That said, most guys who play at home would be delighted with the sound a single BC108 provides and I doubt anyone in the house would encourage the player to buy a second one to use in the house. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks Dave for that your probably right about adding a second speaker for home use but if you gig then a second speaker could be an option as it can save lugging a larger heavier cabinet around clubs up & downstairs etc when you can use 2 108 maybe food for thought
for those that still gig. Phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby shadphil » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 am

Iv'e seen some second hand mv50 ac units and bc108 & bc112 150w on a certain social media m/place in Truro & plymouth may be worth having a look. phil
shadphil

Postby shadphil » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:33 pm

2 - Vox BC108 Speakers in truro area £85 for the two or £50 for one. just thought someone living that way maybe interested. phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:15 pm

On Thursday night I gigged the two Vox BC108 Cabinets @ 4 ohms with the the MV-50 AC and it delivered more that enough clean Shadows Vox classic tone. We had a full lone up of two guitars, bass, drums and sax and there was more than enough volume from my little Vox amp. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm

Thought this might help Ive set my MV50 +bc108 cab up for Peace pipe with volume @12 tone @12 gain @10 with my 10 band mxr eq 1k 2k & 4k set at 0 and the rest at -12 using strat with kinman's sounds really good any thoughts thanks phil
shadphil

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:35 pm

Looking at the MV50 AC controls and details, it would seem to be a straight Vox normal channel sound with just a simple tone control. I do not know how the tone control is implemented as such , but a comparison of a MV 50 AC and a AC15 normal channel seemed to get similar results.

It would probably do the early tunes okay , but without a top boost channel and bass treble controls , it would not do many of the later top boost sounds recorded. Overall it is a great little amp at a great price and would give a very good general Shads sound with EQ applied such as high pass filter.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby shadphil » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi Roger 1 have an AC15 with top boost and i can get virtually the same sound out of the MV50 using the mxr eq i also bought another 108 cab so i can get the full 50w if i want so the ac15 is going to heavy. Phil
shadphil

Postby shadphil » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:06 am

A high pass filter will reduce the bass frequencies, but you still need to be able to alter the higher frequencies for various shadows songs as they are not all the same. to me the stranger/midnight EQ is different to wonderfull land
With the mxr equaliser it can get close to the original recordings EQ. Its only my opinion i might be wrong but that's what i hear. phil
shadphil

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:48 pm

There was a thread on Charlie Hall a few years ago about 10 band EQ settings for various Shadows tracks. It also included a handy little table for all the early hits.

https://charliehall.proboards.com/threa ... d-settings

I've found it useful, I think others might too.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

PreviousNext

Return to Gear