LG50 DRIFTER.

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: LG50 DRIFTER.

Postby dusty fretz » Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 pm

The LG50 Drifter Guyatone/Antoria look-alike is certainly still in the pipeline, at least if inclusion in the company's newly published catalogue is any indication. However, there are more than a few models ahead of it in the manufacturing queue, including a bunch due out later this year that will celebrate Burns' 50th Anniversary in the guitar-making business in suitably fancy fashion.
dusty fretz

Postby aardvarkd » Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm glad to hear the Drifter is still on the future release list. Just to get an idea of how much some of the originals from that series can fetch, have a look at the Guyatone EG-60H currently on E-bay (190397728732) which is currently under offer at a figure well over £1000. It's only a souped-up LG-50! I'm still confident that Barry would have good sales figures from a re-issue clone. Nice close-up pictures of it for Geoff Alderton's collection are included on the E-bay entry!
aardvarkd

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 am

Hi all, Thank you Peter for the ebay pointer. Its good to see the seller takes a good picture, far better than words to show the guitar at its best or worst.
Dusty's note on the Burns future product's is encouraging for the LG50Drifter even though we are at the back of the queue again. Thank's Dusty.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby dusty fretz » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 pm

That Guyatone currently on eBay certainly has a very substantial Buy It Now price, but is actually up for grabs over in America, the land of big bucks and a very different market to that of recession-ridden Britain. Even so, as yet nobody's bitten and it's the second time the seller's tried. The first time he started it at $0.99 and received no bids, so now he's put it back on for almost $1,800! This is somewhat odd logic and the continuing lack of response also indicates such old Guyatones aren't highly regarded in a country that STILL doesn't take too kindly to instruments from the Far East.

Hopefully Burns' interpretation of the ancient LG50 will be priced at a much more approachable figure, as its main appeal must be based on quirk/completist interest only.
dusty fretz

Postby chas » Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:Hi David. Lots of info on the Antoria ad's and pictures I didnt know they did an LG60. Thank you. Regards Geoff.

Apart from my LG50 (with the later deeper headstock), I recently got an LG40 (now in bits for a restoration) which was my first electric guitar bought second hand in '62ish. My original sadly fell apart after being (stupidly) left and forgotten about in the loft for 30+yrs., and I thought it would be nice to have one again (not to play, just to have!). There's a lesson there for anyone who stores anything in lofts - remember they get extremely hot in the summer.....

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby dusty fretz » Fri May 21, 2010 4:55 pm

My first electric was a Rosetti Solid 7, brand new but 18gns' worth of utter garbage, as I quickly realised, even back in 1961. I soon sought something better and this turned out to be a secondhand Guyatone LG40, which certainly sounded and played better (not hard), while the Stratty body shape was a lot more attractive. To further improve appearances, the sunburst finish was subsequently obscured by a new bright red colour scheme courtesy of a local garage, while I added a Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. The end result served me well before being replaced by my first 'real' electric, a Burns Vibra Artist. The latter is back with me after an absence of 43 years, but I'm afraid I wouldn't welcome the return of my old Guyatone with the same enthusiasm - nostalgia has its limits! That said, I do wish I still had the 'orrible Solid 7, as it was just like Paul McCartney's and this famous artist association ensures a healthy vintage value for Egmond's el cheapo six-string, far in excess of true worth.
dusty fretz

Postby chas » Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm

I know what you mean Paul - that's why I said 'to have, not to play' ! Still it'll be a little challenge to see how well I'll get it to play... Funny you mentioned the red spray job, this latest one was painted red over the original finish (I wonder why... :roll: ?) , though not on the sides.
Also similar to you my first guitar was a Rosetti - one of those single cutaway f hole archtops, though not electric!

Chas.
chas

Postby dusty fretz » Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 pm

I wish you luck with the restoration Chas, although with the obvious benefit of extra experience gained over the intervening 50 years, you should be able to make your oldie play as well as possible. I remember those big chrome-covered single-coils being quite loud, clanky and somewhat microphonic, but the usual partner low wattage amps of the period ensured the latter deficiency didn't matter too much.

From what you say, you were one of the many beginners who were blessed (or rather, cursed) with a Rosetti Lucky 7 as the first stepping stone in their playing careers. Such guitars certainly sorted the men from the boys in terms of those determined to stick with strumming, despite the discomfort of blisters and bleeding fingertips. These days it's more a case of who can press the pads fastest on their Guitar Hero imitation electrics!
dusty fretz

Postby chas » Sun May 23, 2010 1:01 pm

I thought I'd include an old photo of me with the LG40 just for the memory, but I can't copy & paste it on to here. Chas.
chas

Postby JimN » Sun May 23, 2010 2:13 pm

dusty fretz wrote:I wish you luck with the restoration Chas ... From what you say, you were one of the many beginners who were blessed (or rather, cursed) with a Rosetti Lucky 7 as the first stepping stone in their playing careers.

Hi, Paul.

Chas had said: "...my first guitar was a Rosetti - one of those single cutaway f hole archtops, though not electric!"

Of course, Rosetti guitars of that time were usually Dutch-made Egmond models, certainly including the Solid 7 (with its now-familiar Beatles connection) and the Lucky 7 (a plywood archtop fitted with a one piece white plastic "Royal" brand pickup/scratchplate/controls/output socket). There was also the more upmarket Airstream solid models (2- or 3-pickup) which had some of the visual vibe of the Stratocaster and the Jaguar.

The Lucky 7 was essentially an acoustic guitar retro-fitted at the factory (if you see what I mean) with the Royal pickup unit, but the basic guitar was also available as an acoustic, fitted with a more traditional pickguard. If memory serves, that acoustic version was usually offered in an all-over white finish, though other colours were available. I can't recall ever seeing a the Lucky 7 version in anything other than a red-to-black sunburst. As with many others, the Lucky 7 was my first "proper" electric, bought (11 guineas) from Bell Music of Surbiton by mail order.

I have the 1965 Bell Musical Instruments catalogue up in the loft. I must drag it out some time and start doing some scanning of the guitars of the period...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

PreviousNext

Return to Burns