Picks & Plectrums

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Picks & Plectrums

Postby Shadow Steve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:35 pm

I know that most guitar users have their favourite picks but does anyone use metal ones?
A friend gave me a pack to try, four Brass, four Ailminum and four Steel 0.3mm, he swears by them but he is into heavy metal....
I am used to a plastic pick 0.81mm and cannot get used to the thin steel or the thick Ali picks, the Brass one feels (and sounds) like my usual plastic ones.
Any ideas?
Shadow Steve

Re: Picks & Plectrums

Postby Gary Allen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Steve, If youre not into def leppard just throw them in the bin,otherwise youll decrease the life of the strings and probably scratch your guitar. regards Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby jimuc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Shadow Steve wrote:I know that most guitar users have their favourite picks but does anyone use metal ones?
A friend gave me a pack to try, four Brass, four Ailminum and four Steel 0.3mm, he swears by them but he is into heavy metal....
I am used to a plastic pick 0.81mm and cannot get used to the thin steel or the thick Ali picks, the Brass one feels (and sounds) like my usual plastic ones.
Any ideas?

Yes, dump them and stick to plastic !!!!
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby Shadow Steve » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks Gary & Jim,
No I have read your comments I can feel the metal grating against the strings and wearing them away so I will be returning them to their owner, nice that he let me have a play with them.
Regards
SteveJ
Shadow Steve

Postby Paul Childs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:35 am

Brian May uses a sixpenny piece, that's metal.
Jeff Beck doesn't use any, says picks are for faries.
Paul Childs

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 pm

I shudder to think what sort of fairy I am then, as i have a house full of plastic picks!!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby RayL » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 am

What a good move it was when plectrums started to be specified by thickness!

I'm thinking particularly about the Dunlop range because (as far as I'm aware) they were the first to bring out a .38mm - the 'fast rhythm' plectrum. Finger it in the shop and it feels much too bendy (in guitar string terms it's equivalent to a .015") , but try using it for something fast - The Savage would be the obvious Shadows number - and the benefit of something that can be gripped firmly while the wrist makes all the movement becomes apparent.

They don't last, of course, but then you wouldn't use them all the time. They are about as far as you can get from the metal plectrum that started this thread!

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby noelford » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:51 am

Up to just a couple of years ago, I had always used quite flexible plecs. For some strange reason I had never tried any other weight. Then, whilst packing up after a gig, I found a heavy gauge plec on the floor (I couldn't miss it, it was bright pink!). Nobody there claimed it as theirs, so I stuck it inh my pocket. A few days later, I tried it and was astonished at how much better it was for my lead work. I've only used heavy gauge since then.
noelford

Postby abstamaria » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 am

There are so many threads on plectrums, all quite instructive, but let me choose this general one to share this interesting video on the subject. I’ve been using Georgia Dennis Sharps (13mm advertised, but about 1.26 really, measured with a digital micrometer). I just received Dunlop 0.38 (white) picks, which I will try out for rhythm. I also am just trying the small Dunlop Jazz IIIs (red, 1-38 advertised, 1.36 measured). I’m getting used to the size, but it seems a good choice. I only play early Shadows music.

Here’s the video (there are some really thick plectrums out there. I was surprised). She illustrates clearly how a plectrum influences the sound.

https://youtu.be/bmU3-Lb5aAY

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby David Martin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 am

I've used Dava Control picks for 30 years. They combine the virtues of both thick and thin picks. I use the original nylon - green - version. The tone is simply superb ...

https://www.davapick.com/picks/dava_control
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Next

Return to Gear