SCHEDULED DOWNTIME ON 2/3rd MARCH - IMPORTANT!

Announcements about changes, known bugs, scheduled downtime and anything else about the forums

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

SCHEDULED DOWNTIME ON 2/3rd MARCH - IMPORTANT!

Postby Admin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 am

It is going to be necessary to shutdown ShadowMusic intermittently over the weekend of 2nd / 3rd March in order to modify the scripts to account for a PHP upgrade.

Please avoid using ShadowMusic between 8am (UK time) on saturday 2nd March until an announcement is posted that the job has been completed. Posts made during this time may well be lost, your browser may crash and you may get a number of error messages if you try to use it.

From the server point of view this PHP upgrade is necessary because some scripts won't run without it. Then again some scripts won't run with it. Therefore ShadowMusic is going to have to be modified.

ShadowMusic has been quite heavily customised from the original board software (for example, the gallery is a modification) so an upgrade is out of the question because it will lose all the customisations and it would become too big a big job to reinstate them now I can no longer give my undivided attention to the site mid week. So I shall have to edit the scripts to account for those elements of PHP which no longer work.

Thanks,

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Re: SCHEDULED DOWNTIME - IMPORTANT

Postby David Martin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks for your work on our behalf Bob
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: SCHEDULED DOWNTIME - IMPORTANT

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

Indeed, thanks Bob!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: SCHEDULED DOWNTIME ON 2/3rd MARCH - IMPORTANT!

Postby GuitarPhil » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes indeed. Thanks Bob for all your hard work and best of luck with the upgrade - these things are always a hassle, I know only too well myself :cry:

Phil.
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Postby Admin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Just a reminder that ShadowMusic may not work properly next weekend.

Please do not send me emails telling me so.

Thanks,

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:32 am

Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Admin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:54 am

During this weekend's maintenance fix you may find the site up or down. If it's up make sure you read this thread to find out whether it's safe to post or whether it may crash out on you.

The site will be backed up at 8am so if you post after that time and the whole operation goes wrong so i have to restore from backups you will lose your posts.

Please ignore any posts that start with ADMIN - these are test posts so I can find out what works and what doesn't.

Thanks,

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm

I have done all I can for now. This is proving to be a seriously tricky problem and I have three possible solutions. I am awaiting advice.

Note: I have made one permanent modification which shouldn't be a problem. If a problem occurs please let me know.

Please carry on using ShadowMusic as usual. I'll post a message if I need to take it down again.

Thanks,

Bob,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:52 pm

There will be various errors relating to dates and times popping up occasionally. These are not a problem and I'm trying to get rid them.

You can ignore them.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:53 am

Please be aware that ShadowMusic may not be available from time to time over the coming days while I and others work on getting the impossible to work. You may receive error messages related to dates, times, installs etc.

If you are able to post, then those posts should be ok since the site will not let you in if it's unsafe to use. If you are posting a long message I recommend copying the message and saving it to a file before submitting it just in case the system goes down at the wrong moment.

Thanks,

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Board Admin