Pop Go The Sixties

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pop Go The Sixties

Postby Paul Childs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:57 pm

JimTidmarsh wrote:I thought that clip was from the Top of the Pop New Year's Eve edition 1969.

It was, I remember seeing it at the time. I know it was BBC1 because we still only had an old black & white TV and couldn't get BBC2 on it.
Tony came back to do the show (I recognised him although he looked different at the time with long hair) but why not Jet? was he still recovering from the car crash at that time?
Paul Childs

Postby JimN » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Paul Childs wrote:
JimTidmarsh wrote:I thought that clip was from the Top of the Pop New Year's Eve edition 1969.

It was, I remember seeing it at the time. I know it was BBC1 because we still only had an old black & white TV and couldn't get BBC2 on it.
Tony came back to do the show (I recognised him although he looked different at the time with long hair) but why not Jet? was he still recovering from the car crash at that time?

No - Jet's crash had happened more than six years earlier by then. And he'd been back on the scene since the accident, cutting a 1964 record for Decca (Big Bad Bass) and a 1967 disc for Fontana (My Lady). He'd even been in the running for the bassist job in the first line-up of the Jeff Beck Group.

I suspect that the relationship between Tony and The Shadows was simply better than that between Jet and the group. After all, Tony was still connected to Cliff and The Shadows after he left, via the Shadrich company and (probably) still by the Shadows Music publishing company as well. His co-composition Now That You're Gone (issued in 1966 on the "Shadow Music" LP) was published by Shadows Music for a start.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, during the Shadows' 60s heyday, both Tony and Licorice were invited back to hekp out but never Jet. I can only think that the management weren't confident.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby bgohara » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm

JimN wrote:
Paul Childs wrote:

I suspect that the relationship between Tony and The Shadows was simply better than that between Jet and the group. After all, Tony was still connected to Cliff and The Shadows after he left, via the Shadrich company and (probably) still by the Shadows Music publishing company as well. His co-composition Now That You're Gone (issued in 1966 on the "Shadow Music" LP) was published by Shadows Music for a start.

Jim - I had never heard of the 'Shadrich' company before you'd mentioned it - presume it was some sort of shared ownership company between Cliff & the Shads - but for what purpose? Shared copyrights (of which there couldn't have been many - On the Beach and Don't Talk to Him being the only ones I can think of?
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby drakula63 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

...Plus, of course, Tony produced a single (London's Not Too Far - ??) for Hank.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby iefje » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:12 pm

drakula63 wrote:...Plus, of course, Tony produced a single (London's Not Too Far - ??) for Hank.

It was the 1970 single "Break Another Dawn"/"Morning Star". Billed as "Arranged & Directed by Tony Meehan. A Norrie Paramor Production".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby StuartD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 pm

The programme reunited some 60's stars with their former bands, Tony Jackson with Searchers, Paul Jones with Manfred Mann. When i was with the Shads at the Stockton Fiesta club in December 1969 I remarked that it was exactly a year since Bruce had left. To which Brian replied that he was a lazy so and so and hadn't done anything for a year!! Hank replied that he was doing the New Years Eve one off and Brian, jokingly, replied "well if he's doing it I'm not" to which Hank replied ' well you're not because Tony is doing it!! There was a load of banter thrown about and i asked Hank about Jet and he said they didn't feel he was reliable enough at that time. I don't know what Jet was doing at that time but I don't think he was still involved with the music business. We all know what a tremendous turn around he did later but at that time i don't think he was up to it.

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 pm

The unofficial DVD version of this show which I obtained does not include Tony Jackson with the Searchers or Paul
Jones with Manfred Mann.
Similar with showings on Yesterday Freeview some time back , they are also excluded, probably cut out on edits to
accommodate adverts in an hours slotting of the programme ?
Certainly with Mr Savile compering it will be edited further no doubt by the BBC!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby UlrichS » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi all,
Quite some time ago I found a full description of this TV show somewhere on the web. As websites tend to disappear regularly I transferred the contents into a Word document, which I have attached below. Unfortunately I had neither included the website address nor the author, so I cannot supply them.
I hope this is of help regarding the details of the show.
Best wishes,
Ulrich

Pop Go The Sixties.doc
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Previous

Return to The Shadows