Shadows - Unreleased Material - Live In Japan (1967)

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Shadows - Unreleased Material - Live In Japan (1967)

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 am

The concert was recorded for Japanese (Nippon) TV in front of a live audience on June 18th, 1967. A prime candidate for some kind of official release. The Marvin / Welch / Bennett / Rostill line up on top form. Excellent quality audio still exists. The concert has been 'bootlegged' in the past, but it's never enjoyed a wide circulation. For those who have never heard it - here are the details (all timings approximate)

1. Apache (2'38) - fine performance
2. Interview with Bruce Welch (1'45) - He mentions John's birthday, the gift of 'Happy Coats', Japanese fans, introduces the group & more
3. Dance On! (1'34) - a snappy performance
4. Nivram (2'58) - features a fine 38 second bass solo from John Rostill
5. Spring Is Nearly Here (1'59) - a beautiful live rendition
6. Foot Tapper (2'34) - very lively & terrific drumming from Brian
7.Bombay Duck (1'57) - excellent 'wigged out' performance - fuzz sounds and all!
8. Don't Make My Baby Blue (2'17) - great
9. Somewhere (2'25) a lovely performance
10. Big 'B' (not Little 'B' as listed on Bootlegs). A rare live performance of this track & BB is on brilliant form
11. Rise & Fall Of Flingel Bunt - excellent
12. Apache - Reprise (2'40) - see 1. above
13. In The Mood (1'31) a fun 'throwaway' (but good) version to end the show

Note: no 'Shadoogie - all overthe place' as mentioned by a previous poster.

I can only assume that this has never been officially released because of various legal / copyright / ownership problems etc., etc. More's the pity. It deserves a wider audience.

Rob :D
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Re: Shadows - Unreleased Material - Live In Japan (1967)

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Just replying to my own post! It was Hoffers who mentioned "Shadoogie" (poor performance). No offence intended to my good friend Tony..it's just that "Shadoogie" doesn't feature on any version of the 18 / 06 / 1967 Japanese TV concert that I've ever heard.

Rob :)
Arpeggio

Postby Arpeggio » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Maybe Tony can add more later....but..just for the time being....it seems that there is some confusion refs: Shadows in Japan, June 1967. They toured Japan between June 19th and June 29th. The TV show (Nippon TV - Channel 12) acted as a kind of 'curtain raiser' - being recorded on June 18th. This is the recording I was referring to. Tony was referring to a recording made slightly later of a complete concert at Tokyo's Sankei Hall. It was made by Japan Odeon / EMI. The actual date is not specified - but it must have been on one of the following four nights: June 20th / June 21st / June 23rd / June 24th. (Maybe one of our Japanese fans / experts might know which of those four shows was recorded?). This recording (featuring several more numbers than the TV broadcast) I have never heard myself - but I am assured that (perhaps just a couple of numbers apart - incl. "Shadoogie" as mentioned by Hoffers) the quality is excellent.

Now: here's partly how another conundrum arose. Whilst I was ploughing through all of the data at my disposal to see what should be included on the recent Early Years set....I came across the information for The Shadows Live At The Sankei Hall (1969). As live versions didn't feature as part of 'The Early Years', I didn't pay an enormous amount of attention - but I was puzzled that there did appear to be some previously 'unissued' Sankei Hall tracks. It turns out that the tapes for the 1967 Sankei Hall concert had been filed along with the 1969 Sankei Hall concert & given (more or less) the same (therefore incorrect!!) date!! I will leave Tony to add more to this (because it is very important / of interest). Here's the actual information held at EMI HQ (with the wrong date - it should be June 1967! Not November / December 1969)

Don't Make My Baby Blue / Let It Be Me / Apache / Nivram / Mister, What Do You Call It What You Did? (sic!!)* / The Next Time I See Mary Jane (sic!!)** / Little Bitter Tears Let Me Down (sic!!)*** / The Green Green Grass Of Home / Foot Tapper / Duane Eddy (sic!!)**** / Spring Is Nearly Here / The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt / Somewhere / Little 'B' / FBI

* = ??? / ** = Mary Anne / *** = A Little Bitty Tear / **** = Shazam!

But....I am informed that both "Dance On!" and "Shazam!" (which were played at the concert) are both missing from the master tapes. In which case - I don't know which track "Duane Eddy" would be. Notice also that "Shadoogie" is not listed (although Tony has heard it), unless it's the mysterious (*...Mister, What....). So....curioser and curioser....Tony....over to you.....any further information on this??

Bests....Rob :D (With grateful Thanks to Dave Herbert :D )
Arpeggio

Postby JimN » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Arpeggio wrote:(June 1967 live in Japan:)

Don't Make My Baby Blue
Let It Be Me
Apache
Nivram
Mister, What Do You Call It What You Did? (sic!!)* )
[Shadoogie?]
Mary Anne
A Little Bitty Tear
The Green Green Grass Of Home
Foot Tapper
Duane Eddy (sic!!)
**** [**** = Shazam!]
Spring Is Nearly Here
The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
Somewhere
Little 'B'
FBI

With a few exceptions, an unexciting choice of material, typical of the group's live performances in the mid-sixties. Nothing from "Shadow Music", "Jigsaw" or upcoming "FHBB&J". I've heard a live version of Spring Is Nearly Here from that tour though, and it sounds excellent (despite the quality of the nth generation tape when it got to me).

Green, Green, Grass Of Home?

Not a bad song in its original versions, but this smacks of "Let's do something that's in the charts, lads". Detroit City might have been a better choice, played in D and with Hank playing the intro by detuning the bottom string of his guitar... ;)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby UlrichS » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi all,

For the June 1967 tour of Japan I have the following details in my files:

Set list:
Shazam! / Dance On! / Don’t Make My Baby Blue (v) / Let It Be Me (v) / Apache / Nivram / In The Mood / Bombay Duck / Mary Anne (v) / A Little Bitty Tear (v) / Green, Green Grass Of Home (v) / Foot Tapper / Shadoogie / Spring Is Nearly Here / The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt / Somewhere / Little 'B' / F.B.I.

Tour dates:
Mo 19.06.1967 - Shizuoka/Japan – 18.30
Tu 20.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan – 18.30
We 21.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan – 18.30
Th 22.06.1967 - Yokohama/Japan – 18.30
Fr 23.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan – 18.30
Sa 24.06.1967 - Tokyo/Japan – 18.30
Mo 26.06.1967 - Osaka/Japan – 18.30
Tu 27.06.1967 - Toyuma/Japan – 18.30
Th 29.06.1967 - Nagoya/Japan– 18.30

1967-06 Japan.jpg

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby Andy Stace » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:10 pm

A question for hoffers. Shadoogie obviously wouldn't be allowed to escape, but are the other numbers good enough for release?

Andy
Andy Stace

Full Real Name: Andrew Stace

Postby iefje » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Andy Stace wrote:A question for hoffers. Shadoogie obviously wouldn't be allowed to escape, but are the other numbers good enough for release?

Andy

An anthology of unissued official live (concert) recordings from The Shadows would be great:
- The group's set recorded in Copenhagen in Denmark in August, 1961;
- The group's set recorded in Blokker or Scheveningen in The Netherlands on the 6th and/or 7th of May, 1964;
- The group's set recorded at the Forum in Luik or Liege, Belgium on the 8th of May, 1964;
- The group's set recorded at the Eurohal in Valkenburg in the south of The Netherlands on the 18th of September, 1965;
- The aforementioned set of numbers from the Japanese TV special on the 18th of June, 1967;
- The aforementioned set of numbers from Tokyo in June, 1967;
- The Shadows' complete concert from Coventry on the 17th of May, 1977;
- The group's set recorded at the London Palladium on the 3rd and 4th of March, 1978;
- The Shadows' complete concert from De Doelen Theatre in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on the 2nd of April, 1980;
- The Shadows' complete concert from Hong Kong, China in early/mid March, 1984;
- The group's set recorded at Wembley Stadium on the 16th and/or 17th of June, 1989.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby cdma1014 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:33 am

Hi Rob,

I have not looked at this website for a while.
I would like to write additional information on this CD.

I have not ever heard 1967 The Shadows concert was recorded by Toshiba EMI Records in Sankei Hall
but I met a man who told me he had a full version of 1969 The Shadows concert in Sankei Hall.

The CD Rob mentioned was recorded by a Japanese The Shadows fan from TV programme called "Japan and The Britain Electric Guitar
Battle" and the co-star was a Japanese Group "The Spiders". A The Shadows fan recorded only a part of The Shadows
so we can still listen to this programme on CD.
This programme was telvised by "Tokyo 12 Channel "and is now called "Televison Tokyo".
We wanted to the film of this programme and some Japanese The Shadows fans went to "TV Tokyo" to find the
film but unfortunately it is no longer available. Japanese TV Stations did not stock the films in the 60's.

I went to see 1967 The Shadows concert in Sankei Hall but I can not remember the date.
I have given Chris Jarvis(Legend) all copies of articles and pics of 1967 The Shadows Japan Tour from Japanese Pop Magazines.

Yaeko
cdma1014

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Since the Liège gig has cropped up again, this thread is worth another read.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby StuartD » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 pm

JimN wrote:
Arpeggio wrote:(June 1967 live in Japan:)

Don't Make My Baby Blue
Let It Be Me
Apache
Nivram
Mister, What Do You Call It What You Did? (sic!!)* )
[Shadoogie?]
Mary Anne
A Little Bitty Tear
The Green Green Grass Of Home
Foot Tapper
Duane Eddy (sic!!)
**** [**** = Shazam!]
Spring Is Nearly Here
The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt
Somewhere
Little 'B'
FBI

With a few exceptions, an unexciting choice of material, typical of the group's live performances in the mid-sixties. Nothing from "Shadow Music", "Jigsaw" or upcoming "FHBB&J". I've heard a live version of Spring Is Nearly Here from that tour though, and it sounds excellent (despite the quality of the nth generation tape when it got to me).

Green, Green, Grass Of Home?

Not a bad song in its original versions, but this smacks of "Let's do something that's in the charts, lads". Detroit City might have been a better choice, played in D and with Hank playing the intro by detuning the bottom string of his guitar... ;)

As Jim said it was typical of their set in the mid to late 60's. I saw them a lot in that period and their 'hits' choice was always the same. Occasionally they did Sleepwalk instead of Somewhere and might include Lara's Theme as the second number, following Dance On.. If they started with In the Mood, they always followed it with Dance On. They never did Wonderful Land, Frightened City, Atlantis, Kon Tiki etc. They always put an occasional vocal hit of the time in there. I have seen them do San Francisco and Death of a Clown, Green Green Grass of Home but the one I liked best was a great version of the Cliff hit and Don Everly song, It's All Over, which featured Hank and Bruce in Harmony with John joining in. It had a killer guitar solo from Hank. They always did Let it be Me and Don't make my Baby Blue, with Hank and Bruce switching sides of the stage. Saw them do Dear Old Mrs Bell too when it was their single and, at the Palladium in their last shows, For Emily. It's interesting that they did Green Green Grass because the night Tom Jones did that on Top of the Pops, the Shads were on doing The Dreams I Dream!!

Later, when they did the longer concerts at Lakeside and Fairfield Hall, ready for Eurovision with John Farrar, I spoke to Hank at length at Lakeside after the show and he said that he had had to 'listen to the records' and relearn what he had done on such as Man of Mystery and Guitar Tango etc as, in his words " We haven't done any of those since they were our latest hits!!". And I certainly hadn't seen them perform them in the late 60's at all. Would love a release of the Japan Album though. John's Bass Playing was amazing at that time!!
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Next

Return to The Shadows