Easter Sunday blues

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Easter Sunday blues

Postby George Geddes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:18 pm

No, not a new composition for the next Dinosaurs CD...

While I have said frequently that I will not miss the Easter Saturday and Easter Monday battles with travel while Network rail upgrades the Scotland to London rail lines, there is no doubt that I will be at somewhat of a loose end on Easter Sunday, due to the absence of a Pipeline Convention.

Interestingly enough, Dave Towers suggests in the letters section of the current Pipeline magazine that he would support a "less ambitious" format with one or two bands from the UK, a DJ playing rare tracks and some videos. A Pipeline-Lite, more along the lines of the long-running DuanE Eddy Convention.

An admirable idea, and it will be interesting to see if anyone takes on the challenge. Would I support such an event? Well, I would not say a definite 'no' but it would have to be something special to entice me on an 800-mile round trip with a couple of nights hotel accommodation. Although a Pipeline regular, I never went to the Duane Eddy meeting after Pipeline moved venues; I haven't been to Lakeside since the last Shadowmania. This is no reflection on the bands and musicians at these events, just a decision that I couldn't justify the time and expense.

What do others think? Particularly those outwith SE England.

Again, I'm not saying 'Never again' but it would have to be something special to make me travel down...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: Easter Sunday blues

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:52 pm

I think you're right about the time and expense, George. Many of the target audience are retired and living on pensions.

I also think that putting on Pipeline at Easter meant paying premium rates for travel and accommodation, not to mention the fact that Easter is a time for families to gather and apply pressure on grandad not to nip off for a jolly!

Do we have to accept that the time for these things has now passed? And be hugely grateful to all those who have given us Pipeline and Shadowmania, along with the associated memories?

Or is there, as you suggest, another way to put together an affordable and welcome package?

I would be delighted to support an event on a less critical date that I could get to fairly cheaply. But I guess someone still has to take the risk of staging it and potentially ending up out of pocket.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:01 pm

I certainly agree about the Pipeline-shaped hole in the Easter weekend. I may be one of only a very few who can lay claim to graving been at every single Convention from the start.

But... There's always Tilburg the following weekend, plus (I hear through the local grapevine) some distinguished instro visitors to the Dartford area (from Oz) a week or so after that. More as more details become available.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:30 am

Just a quick word on progress, George...

The Australian visitors have arranged a reunion of sorts, though necessarily with a stand-in bass player. More as soon as I get better news from Dartford.
JimN

Postby drakula63 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Well, if you want my opinion...

'This is a job for International Rescue.'
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby JimN » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Progress, George...

Looks all set for a reunion gig of Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxxx around the weekend of 18th/19th April.

Still looking for a suitable venue and some support for the evening.

Any suggestions?

A highly suitable stand-in bassist has agreed to take part.
JimN

Postby JimN » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 pm

It's on.

More details later (please PM me, George).
JimN

Postby anniv 63 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am

Think I have guessed the identity of the mystery group in question as maybe a few others have too!!!
If so, certainly a long overdue and welcome Reunion for all, and maybe to be videoed?
It would be unfair to drop a name of course, until everything is officially confirmed via the organisers

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 am

Do you know what?

Despite all that I wrote above, I cannot recall what any of that was about.
JimN

Postby bor64 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:15 am

Well Jim,

I have that regularly on and off....some say senior moments ;)

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Next

Return to The Shadows