John Rostills Jazz Bass

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Rostills Jazz Bass

Postby Hank2k » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 am

Hi All

Does anyone possibly have any pictures of John Rostills white Jazz Bass at all?

Thanks

Regards

Steve
Hank2k

Re: John Rostills Jazz Bass

Postby JimN » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:21 pm

It seems to have been re-finished in white some time in the second half of the sixties.

You can catch it to best effect in the BBC video of Apache from the 31/12/69 programme "Pop Go The Sixties" though it's also visible in a video (from the same programme) of The Shadows miming to Bachelor Boy with Cliff.

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Hank2k » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi Jim thats perfect many thanks
Hank2k

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Shame that in those clips we are only seeing John's J-bass but not hearing it. He's miming to Licorice's P-bass in Bachelor Boy and Jet's P-bass in Apache.

I often wonder how many of the Burns era records were actually done with his J-bass rather than the Burns. All the studio pictures I've seen show him using the Burns or, pre-Burns, the white P-bass. Whether they were always used on the records is the bit that intrigues me.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Iain_P wrote:Shame that in those clips we are only seeing John's J-bass but not hearing it. He's miming to Licorice's P-bass in Bachelor Boy and Jet's P-bass in Apache.

I often wonder how many of the Burns era records were actually done with his J-bass rather than the Burns. All the studio pictures I've seen show him using the Burns or, pre-Burns, the white P-bass. Whether they were always used on the records is the bit that intrigues me.

The 1969 LP "[The Shadows] Live In Japan" was definitely recorded with the white Jazz Bass.

PS: There is a studio shot from about 1966 showing John with a sunburst (too dark for FR) pre-CBS Jazz Bass and Hank with his Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman. Bruce is playing a Marvin. The photo is on page 55 of Roberto Pistolesi's book "That Sound!" and can probably also be found on the internet.
JimN

Postby JimTidmarsh » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm

I thought 'common folklore' said that John hated the Burns bass and only used it on stage for it's visual effect, matching Bruce & Hank's guitars.

The Jazz bass was his preferred recording instrument.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby StuartD » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:02 pm

John used the Shadows Bass for the last time in December 1969 at the Fiesta Club, Stockton. he told me it was 'knackered'.

He then used the Jazz Bass on the two TV shows with Cliff. In March/April 1970 Paul Ferris used the Shadows Bass at Batley Variety Club but didn't use it two weeks later at Wythenshawe Golden Garter club in Manchester because he too said it was knackered. It had only one pickup working. John's last appearance with the Shadows was later that year at the Fiesta Club Sheffield and he used the Jazz Bass.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:21 pm

StuartD wrote:John used the Shadows Bass for the last time in December 1969 at the Fiesta Club, Stockton. he told me it was 'knackered'.
He then used the Jazz Bass on the two TV shows with Cliff. In March/April 1970 Paul Ferris used the Shadows Bass at Batley Variety Club but didn't use it two weeks later at Wythenshawe Golden Garter club in Manchester because he too said it was knackered. It had only one pickup working. John's last appearance with the Shadows was later that year at the Fiesta Club Sheffield and he used the Jazz Bass.
Regards
Stuart

Over the years, I've encountered several Burns Marvins and Bisons with fewer than all three pickups working (including my own not long after I first got it). On every occasion, it was a build-up of atmospheric dirt on the selector switch contacts and a squirt of Servisol cured the problem completely.

The problem doesn't occur with modern reissues because they use a standard Strat-style switch with bigger contact areas.
JimN

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 pm

It must be incredibly boring standing there miming to something you never even played on in the first place!!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby donna plasky » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:13 am

image.jpg
(58.16 KiB) Downloaded 12907 times
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players