Genie With The Light Brown Lamp

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Genie With The Light Brown Lamp

Postby Uncle Fiesta » 17 Dec 2013, 00:13

I have always thought the lead guitar sound on GWTLBL to be a bit strange and quite unlike any other Shads track.

Presumably, as it came out in late 1964 it was played on a Burns, but apart from that, does anyone know how it was achieved? What pickup combination for instance? I use bridge and neck but I'm still nowhere near!
Uncle Fiesta

Re: Genie With The Light Brown Lamp

Postby ecca » 26 Dec 2013, 09:53

You're right Steve, I've always thought that too,
ecca

Postby KurtFroberg » 26 Dec 2013, 10:34

Hi Steve,

Try Middle + Bridge or Middle + Neck for the verses and the "bluesie" parts. Bridge for the chords.

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Postby Uncle Fiesta » 31 Mar 2014, 22:29

I've since found that the best sound for GLBL is the neck and bridge pickups, IN SERIES.

Shame you can't get that sound on a Strat!
Uncle Fiesta

Postby ErikMAMS » 01 Apr 2014, 12:47

Uncle Fiesta wrote:I've since found that the best sound for GLBL is the neck and bridge pickups, IN SERIES.

Shame you can't get that sound on a Strat!

Nor most other standard guitars - except BM's red lady. How did you achieve the series config?

I have it from reliable source that 2 early and original Burns Marvins (still existing) have pickups in series switching.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby roger bayliss » 01 Apr 2014, 19:00

The core nasal sound is on this post and seems to be on neck PU perhaps in series !

American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Postby Iain Purdon » 02 Apr 2014, 10:43

The Burns Marvins truly were remarkable. They achieved some of the most hauntingly beautiful - and some of the most cacophonously ugly - sounds ever.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby cockroach » 02 Apr 2014, 11:13

I believe that some early Marvins had two blade switches- what did they do? Presumably one was a normal three(?) position Strat type pickup switch, but what about the other one?

There is currently a 1964 Marvin for sale on ebay Australia with a Burns Orbit 4 amp- the pics show two side by side switches on the Marvin.
cockroach

Postby ErikMAMS » 02 Apr 2014, 12:27

cockroach wrote:I believe that some early Marvins had two blade switches- what did they do? Presumably one was a normal three(?) position Strat type pickup switch, but what about the other one?

There is currently a 1964 Marvin for sale on ebay Australia with a Burns Orbit 4 amp- the pics show two side by side switches on the Marvin.

John,
I've noticed you've mentioned two blade switches on Marvins before. I've seen two blade switches on Burns Bisons - but not yet on any Marvins (not to imply they doesn't excist).

The only Burns Orbit amp plus guitar I can find on ebay Australia is certainly a Bison. Wonder if this is the one you are refering to:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-BURNS-BISON-GUITAR-ORBIT-THREE-AMP-GENUINE-1964-BURNS-LONDON-/131155059023?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item1e8973614f#ht_3079wt_1105

I'd be interested if you have any pics of a Marvin with two blade switches.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby cockroach » 03 Apr 2014, 08:44

Sorry Erik- it was a Bison!

Anyway, why two switches? Just curious...
cockroach

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"