Stingray Pedal Effect

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Stingray Pedal Effect

Postby anniv 63 » 27 Jul 2016, 16:23

Hi
Can anyone recommend a suitable budget fuzz/distortion pedal that gives
a reasonable approximation on Stingray (using Bass V1/VoxAC15)
Many Thanks

Mike
P.S. as far as I know Burns never reissued the Buzzaround as used by Hank
and John Rostill briefly, or did they?
anniv 63

Re: Stingray Pedal Effect

Postby JimN » 27 Jul 2016, 18:19

Any germanium-based fuzz pedal.

One of Gary Hurst's Tone Benders will do it perfectly.

But there are lots of others, usually titled in such a way as to refer to the vintage nature of the effect produced.

Nice cheap example: http://tinyurl.com/gq99q5o
JimN

Postby Iain Purdon » 27 Jul 2016, 19:36

anniv 63 wrote:P.S. as far as I know Burns never reissued the Buzzaround ... or did they?

I have managed to make a buzzaround effect on an old Zoom bass FX pedal I have. The pedal is set up so that when 'up' there is a clean echoed treble-bass-but-no-middle effect - emulating John's later clickety-clack sound - but when the pedal is 'down' it goes into heavy fuzz mode. I won't pretend it's authentic but it's in the ball park and usually causes some amusement when I attempt Bombay Duck!
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby JimN » 27 Jul 2016, 19:41

Iain Purdon wrote:I have managed to make a buzzaround effect on an old Zoom bass FX pedal I have. The pedal is set up so that when 'up' there is a clean echoed treble-bass-but-no-middle effect - emulating John's later clickety-clack sound - but when the pedal is 'down' it goes into heavy fuzz mode. I won't pretend it's authentic but it's in the ball park and usually causes some amusement when I attempt Bombay Duck!

Cross-purposes here, I fear.

The Burns Buzzaround effect used by John Rostill on Bombay Duck and Tennessee Waltz is one thing.

The Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone unit effect used by Hank on Stingray (played on the Fender Bass VI) is quite another thing.
JimN

Postby Iain Purdon » 27 Jul 2016, 19:58

Multiple purposes.

The original posting is about the Stingray effect but with a PS question about the Buzzaround.

I've tweaked my post to make its purpose clearer.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby roger bayliss » 27 Jul 2016, 23:37

The Buzzaround has been cloned many times and you can get them on e-bay and elsewhere. I think what Jim says about any Germanium Fuzz would do the trick is quite right. I have the Satisfaction Fuzz from EHX and that is a clone of a Maestro and works well. Not too much of the effect is needed.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Postby anniv 63 » 28 Jul 2016, 11:18

Thanks for replies and advice, I had forgotten that it was a Maestro effect
on Stingray rather than a Buzzaround.
Yes there are a few low cost items as suggested, possibily an EHX Satisfaction pedal
might be in a local emporium to try out for starters.

Mike
anniv 63

Return to Guitars and Gear